Sunday, July 5, 2015

A New Journey

Today I begin packing for my trip to Israel.

Skilled Volunteers for Israel created an exciting volunteer opportunity for me in July.  I'll work at the YMCA summer English camp for Israeli, Palestinian, and international kids three afternoons a week.  I'll rely on American Folk Songs for my repertoire here.  I've divided the music into three areas:  counting, body/mind/spirit, and place (including weather--i.e. 'rain, rain, go away').  I'll also sing at an (English speaking) Memory Center for Altzheimers patients and at a community center for Israelis.  I'll be busy.  I'm volunteering four days a week with three days off for a tiyul, Friday-Sunday.  I'll stay with my good friend Nina for part of this unique opportunity.  The remainder will be spent at the Abraham Youth Hostel on Kikar Davidka, a centrally located youth hostel.  I'll request the bottom bunk!

Am I nervous?  Always.  Am I excited.  Incredibly.

I'll sign up for drum lessons with Abe Doron, the drummer for Nava Tehilla.  I hope to get a membership at the 'Y'.  Their swimming pool and gym are top notch.I plan to travel and study the history of northern Israel and the magnificent synagogues from 500 CE with their beautiful mosaic floors.  (It turns out that Abe will be traveling during the month of July.  I hope to study drumming with Gabriel.)

Why am I going?

I dreamed of making Aliya to Israel when I was 18.  My sweet mother (z'l) Florence told me to wait until I finished college and then return with skills.  Now that I finished college, got married (and divorced), have two wonderful children, retired from Solomon Schechter Day School, I can taste a bit of that dream. 

It's interesting that I will be singing in a Memory Center, MELABEV, for Altzheimers patients.  Memory ties us to the past.  It can also help us to envision our future.  Here I am, living a past dream and affirming a new present.  Dreams have power and give hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment